Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

The One Where I Post Random Facts About Myself

Originally Posted April 12, 2012

I've been "tagged" by Susan at Learning ALL the Time. :-) If you haven't seen her terrific blog on eclectic home education and natural learning, you should check it out.

The Rules:

1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random facts about you.
3. Answer the questions given to you in the tagger’s post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag new people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and let them know they have been tagged.


O.K. -- I totally cheated here. This photo is 17 years old. I actually don't have a single current photo of myself. Well, nothing I could post without frightening anyone. The  only person who ever photographs me is Patricia, and she always gets these random shots, when I'm too tired to run away, in which I look like an extra from a graveyard scene in Return of the Living Dead.


Patricia inspected this picture, and she affirmed that it looks kind of like me except that now I'm "wrinklier."


Obviously the sweet baby in the photo is Sarah. It's a nice snapshot of a time when my biggest parenting challenge was sleep deprivation. Ah ... life in the Garden of Eden. :-) Can I go back? Just for a visit?

11 Random Facts About Me:
  1. As a teen, I was a wannabe rebel who never really had the recklessness -- or sheer nerve -- to jump too far off the beaten path. Y'know, didn't listen to the "cool" bands, but didn't go hardcore "punk." (Any others who came of age in the early 80's out there?) Used the "gateway drug" -- marijuana -- but never tried anything "harder." Showed up at school drunk then laid low, terrified I'd get caught. Got into all sorts of truancy problems for skipping school, and usually spent the time at the library reading. So I read The Color Purple by Alice Walker and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut instead of The Scarlet Letter and Oliver Twist -- let's hear it for life on the edge. ;-) Anyway, it's a good thing I lacked nerve, because it would definitely be years before I developed much sense.
  2. My best friend from high school, and the maid of honor in my wedding, died from a drug overdose many years ago. I'd lost touch with her and hadn't really tried to intervene in her life. I don't know whether it would have made a difference if I'd been a true friend, but I'll regret this failure until the day I die.
  3. I'm madly in love with my children.Years from now, when they're in therapy overcoming their eccentric and moderately dysfunctional childhood, I hope they'll sometimes say kind things about me. :-)
  4. I've been married for almost 22 years. I was 23 when we married -- in my estimation, a 23-year-old is still an adolescent. I feel like we grew up together.
  5. My husband and I have struggled through huge issues. During the past year, I've found myself  growing and healing a lot and falling in love with him more than ever. It's impossible to adequately explain what a tremendous gift this is.
  6. With rare exceptions, the only television shows I like are sci-fi and fantasy shows: Firefly, Dr. Who, Eureka, Lost. I've had quite a crush on a few characters on these shows. ;-)
  7. I went to church -- albeit somewhat inconsistently -- for about 15 years. I was an unofficial Catholic (never baptized but was a member of the church). There were many things I loved about Catholicism as I saw it practiced. The socially progressive slant: contrary to popular belief, they brought a wide range of "pro-life" issues to the table, including taking a stand against war, working against poverty, and speaking up for environmental responsibility. The fact that I never heard one of our priests dwell on sin -- the focus was on healing and reconciliation, not on the sin itself. The continuing discussion, from the pulpit, on God as a source of unconditional love and nourishment for your growth as a human being. Not all churches are the same, of course -- we bailed on parishes that preached a gospel of guilt, blame, and negativity, so I never experienced that for more than one sitting. My husband and I no longer follow a path of organized religion, but I'll always have a place in my heart for Christianity as I experienced it during those years.
  8. I've never quite outgrown living in a fantasy world, with books and all sorts of wild daydreams. It's like full-on theater in my brain at least 50% of the time. I fought this side of myself for years. What a waste of energy.
  9. My drug of choice is caffeine -- specifically hot tea. Lots and lots of it.
  10. I'm a native North Carolinian living in Virginia, and I'm about to confess a radical act of heresy against my Southern roots. I don't care for sweet tea. I'll take my iced tea without sugar, thanks. :-)
  11. To say that I'm physically uncoordinated is an understatement. High school gym was enough purgatory for me to cover a lifetime of sins, or it would have been if I hadn't skipped school so much. I once went to play basketball with my husband and sister-in-law -- I fell down on the way to the basketball court and broke my wrist. Even thinking about athletics is clearly too dangerous for me.
Susan's Questions:

1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?

Definitely the sense of community. I have been a homeschool blogger off-and-on since 2004, and was a book blogger for several years, and have traveled through various groups of blogging friends. I especially loved blogging during my Life Without School years. I owe so much of what I've learned on my journey -- not to mention my ability to maintain my sanity, such as it is -- to these relationships. :-)

2. What piece of blogging advice can you offer?

Don't become frustrated if you're unable to stick to a blogging schedule. If you blog when your muse visits, and enjoy doing it, revel in it -- no guilt.

3. What is your favorite reading material?

It's hard to narrow it down. :-) Fiction, book and film reviews, and thought-provoking essays, articles, or blog posts. 

4. Do you have a particular song or a kind of music that really means a lot to you...lifts your spirits, gets you moving, touches you in some way? If so, what is it and why does it have meaning for you?

That's a tough one because my taste in music is as eclectic as everything else. :-) Certain songs have been comforting at different points in my life. When I was a teenager it was "Let It Be" by the Beatles, probably because I hadn't learned to let anything go. When our baby died, it was "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. And ... well, you get the idea. :-)

5. Are you a person who likes to spend a lot of time preparing a meal, or does good and simple do it for you?

Before answering that question, I should say I am domestically challenged in every respect.  When it comes to cooking, I definitely go for quick and dirty. :-) Occasionally, I like making the time to bake or make soup from scratch -- it seems very nurturing, somehow. But my husband is the real cook in the family.

6. What is your personal style/favorite way of dressing?

One word: comfortable. :-) Sweats and t-shirts.

7. What is a quality about yourself you know you need to work on?

Thank goodness I'm only being asked to reveal one of my defects of character. ;-) One of the biggies is that I am prone to severe guilt about lots of things. I'm trying to learn to glean whatever lessons an experience offers and let it go, but it's very, very difficult.

8. What is the quality about yourself that you like best?

I like the fact that I'm generally open-minded, non-judgmental and compassionate. 

9. What is an important life lesson you've learned that you'd be willing to share?

This is a no-brainer for most people, but not to open myself up to other people's unsolicited opinions about my parenting, unless they really know me and my kids. As a general rule, if someone genuinely cares about at least one of my kids, I'm always open to their advice, even if (or especially if) I disagree or if it's really hard for me to hear. I have a handful of friends who really like at least one of my children, on their good and bad days, and you know who you are. :-) Generic opinions from casual acquaintances and relatives ... or random strangers in Wal-Mart ... about homeschooling, unschooling, our relaxed approach to education and discipline, and myriad other topics are rarely useful. I wish I'd grown a spine on day one, when I was told I paid too much attention to my baby and to stop picking her up every time she cried (she needed to learn some limits, you see, and get on a sleep schedule, plus crying is good for their lungs), and set some clear, lasting boundaries about this kind of stuff.

10. From your perspective, what are the most important traits in a friend?

Empathy, flexibility, and a sense of humor. A somewhat warped sense of humor isn't a firm requirement, but if somebody's going to be spending much time around me and my family, it definitely helps!

11. What is your idea of a perfect day?

Traveling to someplace amazing.  Someday ... :-)

I'm not sure how to tag, since Susan and I read so many of the same awesome bloggers -- our mutual friends (like Karen and Jessica) have probably already been invited to "play." So I'll tag some Facebook friends (if you don't have a blog, you can post this as a note on Facebook if you want to): Janell, Adesa, Christine, Heather, and Kelly -- plus Karen at Homeschooling Atheist Momma Blog and anyone else who wants to play along.
My Questions:
  1. What do you enjoy most about blogging and/or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)?
  2. What advice would you offer about blogging and/or social media?
  3. What are a few of the most important lessons you've learned as a parent?
  4. Do you have a favorite book and/or movie -- or what are a few of your favorites -- and what do you think your choice says about you?
  5. Is there a book or movie that changed you in some way? If so, what and how?
  6. What is a quality about yourself you know you need to work on?
  7. What is the quality about yourself that you like best?
  8. From your perspective, what are the most important traits in a friend?
  9. What behavior or personality trait tends to really push your buttons? 
  10. What is one memory you'd like to relive, if you could?
  11. What is one quality you have that you hope your kids have inherited or will emulate?

No comments:

Post a Comment